Developmental Editing FAQ
What is a developmental editor?
Think of a developmental editor as an all-in-one personal mentor, technical editor, and thought partner for your academic project(s) or situation. As a developmental editor, I help guide you in the writing development process and on your academic journey– I will meet you WHEREVER you are, no judgment, only support.
What does developmental editing consist of?
Developmental editing consists of editing, 1:1 consulting sessions, or a combination of both.
- Editing can involve a combination of technical, content, and developmental editing or exclusively one or the other, depending on your needs.
- Technical Editing includes items such as: correcting technical errors such as spelling, grammar, punctuation, and word usage. It can also include correcting APA citations. Please note I am only an expert in APA citations, not other formatting styles.
- Content Editing includes items such as: eliminating wordiness, triteness, and inappropriate jargon; smoothing transitions and moving sentences to improve readability; suggesting and sometimes implementing additions and deletions; and enforcing consistent style and tone.
- Developmental Editing is a form of writing support that comes into play before, during, or after the production of a publishable manuscript including but not limited to talking through a writing project(s).
- 1:1 consulting sessions are 15, 30, 60, or 90 minute sessions that take place virtually (usually via Zoom). Depending on your needs, these sessions can be used to talk through ideas, concerns, and/or issues related to your writing process or academic situation. They can also be used to follow up on specific writing feedback and as a space to safely and comfortably get advice.
How do I know if I need a developmental editor?
If you are a doctoral student, post-doc, faculty member, or academic staff person that needs guidance, editing, and/or accountability for a project, dissertation, thesis, manuscript, article, book project, or tenure dossier - a developmental editor is for you.
How much does developmental editing cost?
- It depends on several factors including length of project, extent of support needed, and time period.
- There are three packages to choose from (5 hours, 10 hours, and 20 hours).
- For more details on pricing, see PRICING.
What editing package do you suggest?
In general, I suggest the following editing packages, but there are always exceptions.
- 20 hours - You have a larger project (like a dissertation, several articles, a book) or anticipate working with us for longer than one month.
- 10 hours - You have a small/medium project in development that needs editing, anticipate wanting check-ins or 1:1 sessions, and anticipate working with me for less than a month.
- 5 hours - You have a small project in its final stage such as a peer-reviewed article that needs editing.
What might a package look like?
For example, if you purchase 20 hours, we will create a customizable package that suits your specific needs. If you're wondering what it might look like, here's are a few samples.
- 1 hour: First Session (Sharing Your Academic Path, Developing Your Timeline, Establishing Our Working Relationship)
- 4 hours: 4 hour-long writing development sessions (Talking through ideas, Reviewing feedback, Outlining a paper)
- 5 hours: 1:1 Check-In Sessions (Regular accountability and wellness check-ins of 15, 30, 60 and/or 90 minute duration)
- 10 hours: Document editing
Do you use AI?
In adherence to the principles of responsible and ethical AI usage, I recognize the importance of ensuring that AI technologies are employed in a manner that upholds integrity, fairness, and respect for all individuals. As part of this commitment, I have implemented a comprehensive ethical use of AI policy within my editing services.
- Data Privacy: I prioritize the privacy and security of client data. All information shared with me during the editing process is treated with strict confidentiality, and it is never stored or utilized for purposes beyond the agreed-upon editing services.
- Respect for Intellectual Property: I respect the intellectual property rights of my clients. The editing contract ensures that any content shared with me remains the sole property of the client, and I will not claim ownership or reproduce it without explicit permission.
- Transparent Communication: I strive to maintain clear and transparent communication with my clients regarding the involvement of AI technologies in the editing process. I provide information about the tools used, their limitations, and the human oversight involved to ensure that clients are informed and have control over their work.
- Continuous Learning and Improvement: I am committed to staying informed about emerging AI ethics guidelines and industry best practices. I regularly review and update my policies to align with evolving ethical standards, ensuring that my editing services promote responsible and beneficial AI usage.
Do you do all of the editing work or do you subcontract to other editors?
I do all of my own editing work - this ensures quality control and assurance that I approach your work with care and integrity.
Do you work with clients whose first language is not English?
Absolutely! My first language is Spanish and I got my start in and found my love for editing when my mom went back to college in her 40's as a mother of six. I edited ALL of her papers and am proud to say we both graduated from college the same year. I've also worked with hundreds on non-native speaking students, academics, and clients.
Do you format documents per my university’s requirements?
I do not offer formatting services, however, I am happy to refer you to colleagues of mine that do offer formatting services.
do you accept institutional funds?
Absolutely! At least half of my clients use institutional funds (grants funding, start-up funds, professional development funds) to pay for my services. Leave the institutional paperwork to me.
do you provide discounts?
For first time-clients who sign up for my monthly newsletter, I offer a 10% discount on the first service.